Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting, Thursday 10th May 2018

Minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting
held on Thursday 10th May 2018
in The New Bridge Community Centre, Bridge Sollars

PRESENT: Councillor John Macklin (Chairman), Councillor Sue Hubbard (Vice-chairman) Cllr. Neil Newton; Cllr Rosemary Morgan; Cllr Serena Crump; Cllr. Muriel Holmes; Cllr S Keefe; Cllr Sharon Knights; Cllr Lesley Handscomb.

PRESENT:  Mrs Lesley Hay (Parish Clerk); One member of the public

Chairman welcomed those present to this the Annual Parish Council Meeting

1. Cllr. John Macklin was unanimously re-elected as Chairman and he signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Chairman form.

2. Cllr Sue Hubbard was unanimously re-elected as Vice Chairman.

3. Apologies for Absence: Ward Cllr Steve Williams. Cllr Lewis Goldwater

4. All councillors confirmed there were no changes to their Declarations of Interest and Applications for Dispensation during the past year.

5. Elect other Officers:

5.1 The Clerk, Lesley Hay, was confirmed as Responsible Finance Officer
5.2 Footpath Officers – these are all councillors according to the village they represent.
5.3 Planning Officers – these are all councillors according to the village they represent.
5.4 Tree warden – Cllr Lewis Goldwater

6. To Receive Reports:
6.1 In the absence of Ward Cllr Steve Williams, the Chairman read out the following report:

Last year it was a pity that the Roads Review into the Bridge Sollars and the Mansell Gammage roads did not take in to account of the views of the local residents.

The review of the boundaries is underway and looks like it will come to a conclusion soon.

During the past year, I have been made a permanent member of the Planning Committee and have been made a member of Adults and Wellbeing Scrutiny Committee.

The H.W.F.A will hold its last meeting on the 30th of May before its takeover by the Police and Crime Commissioner.

My personal highlight of the year was my trip to Number 10 Downing Street representing Hereford Council and Stoney Street Ward following my motion to Hereford Council regarding to recognition of the Canary Girls.

I would like to thank Bishopstone Parish Council for their help and support over the last year and look forward to working with you all in the coming year.

6.2 Policing – no police present at the meeting

7. The Chairman opened the Open Session

A resident present raised the question of the disused telephone box at Byford – which is currently hidden due to being over grown with grass and vegetation. The Clerk will initially ask the lengthsman to strim around the box and will liaise with Anthony Bush with regard to ownership of the telephone. Item to be deferred to next meeting.

The resident was also raised his concern with regard to a flooding problem associated to poor /inadequate drainage adjacent to and affecting his property. The resident produced emails and documentation he had sent and received supporting this issue plus photographs illustrating the problems of flooding around his entrance/front door. This problem was acknowledged and was discussed at length by the Parish Council and the Locality Steward. The Locality Steward offered to personally follow up this issue with the various departments within Balfour Beatty and will liaise directly with the resident and with the Parish Council. Item deferred to be discussed again at the next meeting.

7.1 Chairman closed open session

8. The Minutes of Meeting held on Thursday 8th March 2018 were unanimously agreed as being a true record and these were adopted and signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising –

8.1 New Data Protection Laws – the Clerk confirmed that the Audit Report and Action Plan, both requirements under the new legislation, had now been collated by Microshade.

It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed to adopt the Audit Report and Action Plan. The Parish Council now meet all the legal requirements set out within the new law regulations.

The Clerk reported having received the following paragraph via an email from Anthony Bush:

“An amendment has been made to the Data Protection Bill currently proceeding through Parliament that removes the requirement for parish councils to have a data protection officer. There is still time for this to change of course until the bill receives royal assent”.

It would, therefore, appear that it may no longer be obligatory to appoint a DPO but, according to the HALC Information sheet (circulated), it is considered good practice This option was discussed and it was agreed to continue with Microshade in their capacity of DPO to Bishopstone Group Parish Council until guidelines become clear.

82. Governance review update

Community Governance Review – the Parish Council had no further comments and it was agreed that the second phase could now proceed.

Resolved: Clerk to inform John Coleman.

8.3 Update footpath – M250 Bishop Lane – it was confirmed that there had been no further correspondence/update following the Chairman’s email to Mr Mike Walker – Rights of Way Team Leader Balfour Beatty – on the 11th March 2018.

9. Finance Matters:

9.1 End of year Bank Balances had been circulated. The current accounts sheets had also been circulated.

9.2 The Annual Governance Statement for 2017/2018 was read out by the Chairman was agreed and accepted by Council. The External Audit Form was duly signed by the Chairman and the Clerk as Responsible Finance Officer.

9.3 The Annual Accounts for 2017/2018 had been audited and these were agreed and accepted by Council. The External Audit form was completed and signed by the Chairman and Clerk as Responsible Financial Officer.

The Certificate of Exemption was signed and together with the Contact details will be returned to the External Auditor

The Notice of Date of Commencement of Period of the Exercise of Rights is ready to be displayed on the 3rdh June 2018 for 30 working days up to and including 13th July 2017.

The Clerk informed those present that all documentation would be up loaded on to the website as appropriate and displayed on the village Notice Board within the appropriate time scale.

9.4 It was unanimously agreed to appoint Robert Taplin as Internal Auditor

9.5 To Consider and Approve payment of outstanding invoices
9.5.1 Schedule of Payments had been circulated
9.5.2 It was unanimously agreed to accept the new insurance proposal from Zurich Municipal at a cost of £167.44 for 2018/2019. Clerk to raise cheque.
9.5.3 It was unanimously agreed to make a donation of £25.00 as a gift for the Internal Auditor – Clerk to purchase a voucher and card of thanks.
9.5.4 VAT reimbursement – clerk confirmed payment had been received.
9.5.5 The Clerk explained that NALC had confirmed an increase in
Parish Clerks’ salary of 2% dated from 1st April and this had been
included in the salary cheque for April.

10. To Consider adopting the revised Standing Orders (copies of which had been circulated) existing Financial Regulations; Financial Risk Assessment; Code of Conduct; Bishopstone Safeguarding Statement.

The revised Standing Orders /existing Financial Regulations/Financial Risk Assessment/Code of Conduct were reviewed and accepted for the coming year. All signed and dated by the Chairman and Clerk. All Councillors present agreed to abide by the Code of Conduct.

11. Planning updates since last meeting: None received

11.1 Report on NDP May 10th 2018
Work on the Regulation 16 submission is almost complete and the documents should be sent to Planning by the end of next week. The Neighbourhood Planning Team will then set a date for the consultation which will last for 6 weeks. The Team will handle all the consultation which will be advertised on the Herefordshire Council website and on ours.
To encourage the widest possible local participation, the Parish Councillors have agreed to send a copy of the NDP to each household in our parishes with a letter encouraging residents to take part in the consultation. Cllr Hubbard has obtained a quote from PIP Printing who have been used before and who have proved very reliable. The quote for 150 copies is £436-12 and 200 copies £556-43. After some discussion councillors agreed it would be prudent to order 210 copies to grantee there was a copy for every household.

12. Lengthsman June and July 2018 work sheet – none expect the Byford telephone box strimming.

12.1 The Chairman and Clerk signed the lengthsman Contract 2018-2019
12.2 The Footpaths Officers signed the Footpath Officer Contract for 2018-2019

13. Items for the Next Agenda (no discussion):

The clerk referred to an email from Cllr Lewis Goldwater asking if the Parish Council would give their thought to any ideas for activities that could take place within the Parish in support of the Herefordshire Tree Week in October/November.

Cllr Goldwater wondered if the Parish Council would consider funding a local tree planting opportunity/ initiative e.g. commemorative trees. Likewise, if the Parish Council have contact with any local landowners, perhaps there could be an opportunity to arrange guided walks perhaps at Garnons or along the river bank?

It was felt that the item should be deferred until the next meeting when hopefully Cllr Goldwater will be present.

14. To Confirm the Date of the Next Parish Council Meeting – Thursday 12th July 2018

Chairman closed the meeting at 8.50p.m.

Signed: ……………………………………………….

Date: ………………………………………………….